Sunday, December 16, 2007

Happy 2nd Birthday Sophie!!



I can't believe Sophie is already 2. She decided to sleep in today so I thought I write down a few of my thoughts about her. (O.K. that didn't last long, she's awake so this will take me all morning) I am so glad we decided to have another baby after our long "break". It was hard for me to think about starting all over with the baby phase when both Conner and Kali would be in school. Once Sophie was born though, I couldn't imagine not having her be part of our family. She is definitely spoiled with a lot of love and attention from all of us.


I love this poem!


The Wedding Reception


I sit and watch her
My pastel punch and thick-iced cake
(On delicate plate)
Balanced awkwardly on my knee

I think of me 12 years before
Her smile beams
First on this reception guest,
Then that

Sometimes blushing,
Sometimes laughing,
Always turning
Eyes of admiration to the handsome groom.
Should I tell her?
Tell her of face-down peanut-buttered bread
On the new mopped floor?
Of a two-year-old stretched out
and kicking angrily
In the grocery store
(And everybody watching)?

Can I tell her?
Tell her of the almost-can't-cope days?
The lonely evenings
Waiting for bishopric meeting
To end
Will I tell her?
Of the terrifying cry
Of croup
Deep in the night?
Or the quickened step
Of the home teacher
Summoned to help administer
To a feverish brow?

No.
But neither can I share with her
The thrill of a newborns nose
Bobbing in my neck;
The pride of seeing a six-year-old
Begin to read

I cannot tell her
Of a husband's gentle touch
On my hand
As we pass briefly
In the chapel foyer.

So
Standing, I brush away the crumbs
From my not-so-new dress,
Smile,
And wave a little
To the bride
Across the room.
By Martha P. Taysom

Thanks to my dad for sharing that poem with me almost 3 years ago. It made me realize I was missing the thrill of a newborn nose bobbing on my neck. That wasn't the reason he shared the poem with me but it was a moment of confirmation to me. I had the 6 year old learning to read, I had the terrifying cry of croup in the night but I was missing the new born nose. Sometimes prayers are answered in ways we don't expect.

Sophie loves to climb up on the table and counters. One Sunday, Jimmy and I thought the other one was keeping an eye on Sophie. It was when she first learned to climb. I came down stairs and there were cans of green beans and mandarin oranges on the counter. I was trying to figure out who did it when I realized Sophie had.
Sophie has known how to chew gum for 8 months. We know whenever we put in a piece of gum, we'll end up having to share with her. So we end up having to choose wisely when we put a piece in.
She has just started to like to color. I am so grateful for Color Wonder (only colors on special paper and not walls or tables) She's getting a new Nemo Color Wonder for her birthday.
She loves Elmo and Nemo and especially her little white Kitty (more of a grayish or off white color now). She cuddles with it whenever she sleeps and likes to rub the tip of it's tail between her fingers. She used to suck on it's nose when she was younger (like she was nursing from it) and it made Kitty's face have a funny shape for awhile. Now Kitty's pink nose is gone.
Sophie loves to go outside. She has a little slide in the back and she likes to jump on the buried tramp. All the neighbor boys love Sophie too and jump really small when she gets on the tramp.
We are going over to Ken and Gina's this evening for a Birthday/family Christmas party. Ken is cooking his famous Curry (yummy) and we are going to do a little gift exchange. My mom and dad were going to come but the road reports were saying it was going to be bad traveling. We'll miss them! I need to go so I can bake Sophie's cupcakes and get everyone all ready for church. (Jimmy had meetings this morning and is giving two talks in other wards today- so I am on my own to manage the crew)
Here's just a few pictures of Sophie over the last two years!





2 comments:

Lacey said...

Happy Birthday Sophie!! Isn't it crazy just how fast they grow up! She's such a doll! I love the hula girl.

You are super woman if you make it to church on time today. Good Luck!! I'm always late when I even have help.

I did find a stocking for Mads finally!! Last night we drove to Quilted Bear and now she's got a non-ghetto stocking. Are you done Christmas shopping?

Sheree said...

She is so cute! I love that coconut bikini! I can't believe that she is two already!