Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Toilet Paper Pumpkin Trio


A few years ago, my mom got 3 cute little pumpkins from one of her students. I thought they were so cute and my mom told me they were just fabric around toilet paper rolls and a paper towel roll. In case anyone is interested in making an inexpensive fall decoration, I'll tell you how I did it. I set off to find some cute orange fabric- I choose some with a bit of a pattern but not anything too busy. I got 1/3 a yard each for the two toilet paper rolls & a 1/2 yard for the tall one. Then I just gathered & rolled stuffing the middle as I went. I used my hot glue in the middle of the tubes to keep the fabric in place as I went. Then I rolled up a brown lunch sack (rolling it uneven so it made somewhat of a cone spiral shape) and stuck it in the middle with a couple fall leaves. And wa-la 3 cute fall pumpkins ready to display! I already had the rolls of toilet paper and paper towel so this project cost me $6.35. (two of the fabric rolls were $7 & $8 a yard so this could be done for less if you could get less expensive fabric. Make sure you really like the fabric though because that really makes it cute, in my opinion) I am keeping mine but it would be an easy gift to give for a fall birthday, teacher gift, or Visiting Teaching gift.

4 comments:

anjie said...

I have some of those! My mom made them for me. I haven't gotten mine out yet. I don't want to say goodbye to summer.

Mine have cinnamon sticks for the stems.

Janel Ruzzi said...

Those are some very cute fall pumpkins! They sound fairly simple to make too--thanks for the idea!

Angela said...

That sounds so cute to use cinnamon sticks for the stems- I just might do a switcharoo for those instead. Janel- what is your blog address? It won't let me access it.

Kar said...

Oh how cute!! I love 'em!! Thanks for the idea!