Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tangled Teeth

Yesterday I went to the dentist and had my routine 6 month cleaning. Ahhhhh, my teeth feel so clean. Usually, I don't mind getting my teeth cleaned but the hygienist yesterday was not as gentle as all the others I've had in the past. So it wasn't as enjoyable. My favorite part is when she squirts the high pressure little stream of water in my mouth- I wish that part would last longer.

Speaking of teeth, I was talking to my sister Camile last week about my reoccurring nightmares I have about my teeth. I get them about every 3 months and never go longer than 6 months without getting one. They are all different but they all have something to do with something bad happening to my teeth. I just had one last week and in it I had one giant buck tooth in the front of my mouth. It was like my two front teeth combined and doubled in size. Sometimes my teeth will all fall out in them and other times they will just be crazy crooked and discolored. My teeth are one thing about me that I have liked ever since I got my braces off in 10th grade. No matter what my weight is or how my hair looks; I like my teeth. So I think I have a fear of losing the one thing that I can count on to enjoy when I look in the mirror. I am grateful for my parents forking out the money to fix my teeth when I was younger. I'm glad I have a permanent retainer so that hopefully my teeth will stay straight and my nightmares will never come true. Kali started her Orthondonic treatments a couple months ago. She has a lot of crowding in her mouth and some cross bite issues. She has a bridge-type thing in her mouth that goes over the top of her mouth and I put a little key in it every night and click it forward. It's widening her teeth and then she'll get braces on her front teeth for a few months to straighten them. Then when she's a teenager she'll get the full set of braces. We were so excited when we found out that my orthodontist's son lives here in Utah and is an orthodontist too. (Dr. Tim Elison) So we didn't even have to shop around to make a decision about who to take our kids to. Dr. Elison puts on the permanent retainers so teeth stay in place and it's nice to have a familiar friendly face taking care of Kali.

6 comments:

Camile said...

You do have beautiful teeth! I can't believe that Kali is already getting ready for othodontist stuff.

I loved the post about Sophie and baths! That is so cute about Jimmy going on a walk because Sophie asked him to - their voices are just so hard to resist!

p.s. So, when I talked to Mom it sounds like they won't be watching any sessions at your house. And we still don't know exactly what the plans are for the priesthood session and Connor's party. Let me know what the plans are, but don't plan anything around us, because I'm not sure what we'll be able to do. Hopefully we'll still be able to come over for the Sunday sessions and lunch.

LaNae said...

I have had nightmares about losing my teeth also. In my nightmare, they just all start falling out, and I can't stop them. I have heard it has something to do with control. If you are feeling out of control on something then you can have one of those nightmares. But that might just be one interpretation of the dream.

Lacey said...

You know where those crazy dreams are coming from! I hate going to the dentist but I love that CLEAN feeling.

Kar said...

Hey, Dr. Elison was my ortho, too! Hahaha! I have permanent retainers, too, but once the cement came undone behind one tooth, and I didn't know it, and my tooth totally moved and I had to get braces again when I was 21! That sucked.

Ryan and Ashley said...

I always have teeth nightmares! probably because I'm around teeth all day. I always have one that they all start falling out and I have to keep pushing them back in their sockets, pretty freaky. I have them about once a week.

Nicole said...

Wow.. I just got two cavities filled yesterday. I AM a dental hygienist and SOMEHOW still get cavities. And it's nice to hear of someone who loves to have their teeth cleaned. :0)