Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Happiest Place On Earth






























No, I'm not talking about Disneyland- I'm talking about the Temple. Yesterday, my little sister, Steph, got married in the temple. What a wonderful experience it was. We had a big surprise while we were in the sealing room. Bryant and Steph came in and while we were waiting for the sealer to come in, our prophet, President Monson, came to the door. I nudged Jimmy because I saw him first, and we were both in awe. We all stood up and he came in and started shaking hands of those in the front row. He shook Ken's hand (my bro) and commented on his pink and black tie, he said he liked it. He then moved on and when he shook, Aaron's hand, (my brother-in-law) he said, "you must be related." (because he had the same tie on) Then he noticed most of the guys in the room had that tie- all the brothers and brother-in-laws were wearing them. He said he has been to many sealings and this was a first- the pink and black tie wedding he called it. I thought he was just popping in but then he just kept on staying and no other sealer was coming in. It was amazing being in the same room as him. He was so great- just like I thought he would be. He told funny stories and touching stories. He knew Bryant's grandma- they went to High School together and I think they went on a date or dates together. And they each still have a quarter that they exchanged; President Monson said his was in his sock drawer and he had just seen it that morning. I'll have to get the story from Bryant when they get back from their honeymoon. His advice to them was the same advice he got when he was sealed to his wife- to kneel in prayer everyday together taking turns offering the prayer. He said he has been doing that since he was married in 1948 (61 years). It seems like such simple advice but so important. How can you stay angry after a disagreement if each day you kneel together in sincere prayer. They were sealed together in room B- which used to be rooms 13 and 14 until they were combined to make one larger room. He made the comment, "who would want to be sealed in room 13? Especially, if it was Friday the 13th. So he made the suggested to use letters instead of numbers. It was so neat listening to his stories and taking in the Spirit that he brought to the room. I was so excited for Steph to be sealed to Bryant by the Prophet! What a great way to start a marriage and what a great story to tell their kids someday! He said he was going to write in his journal that night about the pink and black tie wedding.

After Steph got into her dress, they came out for pictures. It was so neat watching all the little neices swarm around her. She has been the best Aunt to them. They all think she is so beautiful, like a princess and they admire her and look up to her so much. I am so thankful that she is not only beautiful on the outside but also on the inside. She is such a great example to them and I can't think of a better role model for them.

We got pictures taken and then went to a luncheon at the Joseph Smith Memorial building. Very yummy! Jimmy and I went and got the sheet cakes from Costco that my parents ordered and then back to the JSM building for family pictures with Steph out of her wedding dress. And then it was time for the reception. It was a nice night and fun to see relatives that I haven't seen for awhile.

I'll never forget what a neat day it was yesterday. Seeing the Prophet so close was one of those life changing experiences for me that makes me evaluate my life and where I want to be compared to where I'm at.

4 comments:

Kar said...

Oh my gosh, that is incredible! Stephanie is so lucky! And you guys, too! What an amazing thing to have happened! And Steph looks gorgeous.

Janel Ruzzi said...

I totally agree with your synopsis of the prophet being Stephanie's sealer. I am so glad I got to attend that sealing and be in the same room as the prophet! It was definitely one of those moments in life I will NEVER forget!

Kimberly Davis said...

Seriously, sealed by the prophet, sooooo lucky!

Nicole said...

OK, that is so amazing! Seriously!! Absolutely unbelievable. Not many people can say THAT about their sealer!