Thursday, October 9, 2008

Carmel Apple Day


Ever since I can remember, October 9th has been Carmel apple day in my family. We actually celebrated (don't know if that's the right word) over conference weekend. My parents were in town and it's always best if my mom's around to make the Carmel apples and to tell the story that goes along with it.

So here's a short version of the story. When my mom was 13 her dad got in a serious car accident and was in a coma for 6 weeks. On the day my grandma finally prayed that Heavenly Father's will be done, my grandpa passed away. My mom's uncle came to the Jr. High and when my mom heard her name called over the intercom to come to the office, she knew her dad had died. She had an older sister at the school with her and then they went to the Elementary School to pick up some more of her siblings. They were all in the car crying on their way home and her uncle pulled over at a gas station, went in and came out with a Carmel apple for each of them. (this was a real treat that they never normal got) No one could cry while they were eating so they all sat in the car and ate their apples. My mom says that she was thinking that was the end for them. How could she go on without her dad. But just like that Carmel apple- there were still "sweet" things in store for her family.

About a year later, my grandma (who had 6 kids) got married to my Grandpa Henderson. They had two more kids. He's been a wonderful grandpa to me. As you can imagine it wasn't an easy transition for my mom, a teenager, at the time to have her mom marry someone else. But now she loves my grandpa like a father and is thankful for him coming into their lives.

So every October 9th (or close to) we remember my Grandpa Martin LaFollette and how my mom, my grandma, and my aunts and uncle made it through that hard time. I love to hear my Mom tell this story and bear her testimony. I am thankful that she is passing down her legacy to me and my children.

Here we are listening to my mom tell the story. The kids listened so well and the Spirit could be felt.

5 comments:

Sheree said...

That is such a neat story. What a sweet uncle to buy everyone carmel apples, and so cute that you all celebrate that. I love that! You should submit that to the Friend or something. Seriously.

anjie said...

What a tender story. That would be hard. Wow, 6 kids and have your husband die.
Thanks for sharing.

Kar said...

I never, ever knew that about your mom. I think it is so great to have a tradition like that to help you remember the passing of loved ones.

Jess said...

I love this!! That is a wonderful tradition to pass on to your kids.

Janel Ruzzi said...

I love this tradition and wish my dad had been old enough to remember it better and pass it on to us. It makes my heart happy to know that your family does this every year!