Saturday, July 4, 2009

Bird Business

We have had hundreds of birds in our backyard! There has been an infestation of grasshoppers and the birds are in heaven eating all of them off our lawn. The other day it started raining hard and one of the birds came in a vent on our roof and ended up in our little utility closet. We could hear it flapping around in there every once and awhile. Sophie was especially curious about it but I told her not to open it because the bird might fly at her face and peck her nose. I thought I scared her enough not to open the door but awhile later she came to me and told me the bird was black. After trying to figure out what to do with it over night, I came up with a plan. I got a laundry basket and a baby gate and I was going to trap it and then let it go outside. When I opened the door it started flying into the basket and then decided to go higher and flew right past a squealing Jimmy into Conner's room. It flew to the window and smacked itself and then I opened the window and it flew into the back of my head as I was trying to get the screen off. (that's when I screamed) When we got the screen off it flew right out into the field behind our house and I'm sure it had a great big breakfast of grasshoppers.

2 comments:

Kar said...

That is so funny! I think it's hilarious that Jimmy was squealing. That same thing happened to me at an apartment at BYU. Em and I were screaming forever. We made our FHE brother extract it.

Camile said...

Ha ha - too funny!