Sunday, July 5, 2009

Father's in my Life

In Relief Society, on Father's Day, we went around the room and each said something about our
Fathers that we love. We did this last year too and it always makes me cry. There are so many great qualities my dad has and so I could relate to what a lot of the ladies were saying. My dad is a great grandpa. He has been coming with my mom to help out when I've had a baby- (besides Kali- my mom flew to Albuquerque by herself for that) He is so great with the kids- he always carts the babies around and bounces them softly right to sleep. He sometimes falls asleep himself. I can imagine him as a young dad doing the same thing with me.





Some of the girls in my ward have already lost their dads. It made me think how grateful I am that mine is still in great health. It made me realize though that I shouldn't take advantage of the opportunities I have to still tell him how much I love him and what I love about him. I am still lucky enough to have my dad's dad alive also. I can see where my dad gets his loving touch with kids. My grandpa is also such a softy. Just recently when we were at my parents house, my grandpa was there visiting also. A country song that he likes was playing and he scooped Sophie up and started dancing with her. When he saw that she was sleepy, he kept rocking her around to the music and she fell asleep in his arms.
The other two dad's in my life are Jimmy and his Dad. I remember the first time I met Jimmy's dad when we were engaged, we were driving on the freeway in Oregon and a mommy duck and her little ducklings were crossing the road. He started saying in this concerned tender voice, "Hurry mommy duckies and baby duckies, hurry, hurry." It was so cute and I knew then that he was a softy too. He is such a family man and although there is a bunch of us, he loves it more than anything when we can all be together.
Jimmy is such a wonderful dad. I love to watch him look at our kids. There is a light a sparkle when he sees them. A few weeks ago in sacrament meeting we sung I am A Child of God for the opening song. Sophie loves that song and usually she doesn't sing in sacrament meeting but this time she sung out with all her little voice could give. Jimmy was holding her and watched her with tears rolling down his checks. It was such a tender moment. At night we always check on the kids before we go to bed. Jimmy has a hard time letting them sleep with all the kisses he plants on them while they are sleeping. Some wives beg their hubbies to have more kids, not me- Jimmy has wanted to have our last two so bad and just waited on me to be ready. However, if we have anymore, I might have to be the one to do a little persuasion. Although, I think he would be easy to convince.
Not only are these Dads all wonderful men, they are also all worthy priesthood holders which means so much to me. This last week, Jimmy tweeked his back and was in a lot of pain. After dealing with it for a couple days without relief, he asked his Dad and brother, Jon, to give him a priesthood blessing. Not only is Jimmy feeling so much better now, but it was also a great example to our kids to reach out when they are in need of a father's blessing or a blessing of healing. I am so grateful I had the priesthood in my home as I was growing up and that I can enjoy it now also with my own family.
I am so grateful for the great examples of fathers that Conner and Scotty have to look to. Conner is so loving to Sophie and Scotty (not so much to Kali), it gives me a little glimpse of the kind of dad he'll be someday.

2 comments:

Kar said...

What a sweet post. My dad and I have a hard time, so I just think it's incredible when someone has such a good relationship with her father. What a blessing.

Camile said...

What an awesome post Ang!! Brought tears to my eyes! We are so lucky to have such great Dad's in our lives. I loved the story about Grandpa and Sophie and about Jimmy listening to Sophie sing - how sweet! All of your stories were great - thanks for sharing.

ps Sorry I never called to tell you that we wouldn't make it boating (I'm sure you figured it out though).