Friday, October 10, 2008

Halloween Candy Jar


This is a jar that I like to fill up for different holidays with seasonal candy. I got mine at TiaPan Trading but I've seen them at Roberts also. I always put the candy that I am not tempted by on the top so I won't eat it. (sometimes the kids are a problem but if I threaten good enough they will stay out) I've even thought about spraying the candy with varnish so that it will last year to year and telling the kids that now the candy is poisonous! I filled this one up with candy corn at the bottom, then I put a 3/4th empty paper towel roll in. I do this so I won't have to use as much candy since it's just for decoration. If you were to have a party and then let guests take little jars or bags of candy home I would not put in the roll. Then I layered the candy. These are the amounts and what I got. Two bags of Hersey's wrapped candy bars, two bags Halloween M&M's, two bags of yellow, orange, & white salt water taffy, three bags of candy corn. (there were so many cute candy to choose from- so you could make this look totally different) After I layer the candy and make sure the paper towel roll isn't showing as I go, I put on the lid, and tie a double knot out of two different ribbon (with wire edges). On Halloween you could empty the jar and pass out the wrapped candy and save the unwrapped candy year to year. I don't know how the M&M's keep their color but candy corns and laffy taffy harden and keep great. (just make sure guests don't try to sneak a piece and break a tooth) You could also wait until after Halloween when the Halloween candy goes on clearance and then just let it harden for next year.)

2 comments:

Kar said...

Another great idea! I need to get out my Halloween decorations.... I'm so bad about that lately.

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.