Friday, October 10, 2008

Spooky Haunted Halloween House


This was a fun project to do with my daughter, Kali (8 years old). We took an Fisher Price Sweet Street House that no longer gets played with much. (we have a ton of them!) This one I actually found at D.I. for $1.50. You can find them there quite often or at garage sales too. You could use any old doll house but the more details on it the better. I took Krylon Fusion for Plastic (black) spray paint and painted two coats inside and out. After that dried, Kali painted some Popsicle sticks that I had cut with black acrylic paint. Then she wrote KEEP OUT, NO TRESPASSING, DO NOT ENTER, BEWARE with a silver metallic sharpie. She also put little dots in each of the corners to represent nails. We then put glued two of the boards across each window. I drew a jack-o-lantern face with a black sharpie on a candy pumpkin and then glued it by the front door. We got some small LED battery candles (at Walmart) and put two on the bottom floor and one on the top floor. We then put a piece of yellow tissue paper on each level. The lights are fun because they flicker like a real fireplace is burning inside. After we are done with Halloween I think I will put it back with the Sweet Streets for the girls to play with. It would be fun to have a haunted house with their make believe play. Since my kids are going to play with them I decided not to put floral moss on the top with a glue gun but I think that would make it look even more spooky. (The pictures aren't great of this- it was hard to get the lighting right to show the glowing windows and the details but you can still get the idea)

3 comments:

anjie said...

cool ideas! That candy would not last st my house. My 2 year old cries for it. So sad.

Kar said...

Holy crap! You are so creative! Your kids are so lucky to do fun stuff like this with you all the time.

Jess said...

I love your decorating ideas...you need to post more!!! I love getting ideas, even if I don't think I can dublicate them!!