Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Turkey Porcupines


We just had Turkey Porcupines for dinner. We had them about a month ago too and this was the half we didn't eat. I froze it for a night like tonight. (I didn't feel like cooking) When I cook I like to double the recipe and then freeze half. It's no harder to do a double batch and then it saves me so much time! So here's the recipe....


Turkey Porcupines


1 lb. ground turkey

1/2 c. rice (I use the Organic Harvest Medley from Costco- brown, wild & red rice)

1/4 t. pepper

1/2 t. celery salt

2 T. chopped green peppers

1 T. grated onion

1 clove minced garlic

4 cups tomato juice or V-8 (I used half fresh tomatoes pureed in my blender and V-8 juice)

6 whole cloves of garlic

1 T. Worcestershire sauce

1 T. sugar


Mix together turkey, rice, salt pepper, celery salt, green pepper, onion, and garlic. Form into 18 small balls. (I use a small/medium cookie/ice cream scoop- makes it so easy) Mix tomato juice and the rest of the ingredients in large skillet. Add meatballs. Cover and simmer 1.5 hours (less if using white rice) or until rice is done. Turn meatballs halfway through if not covered by sauce.


I freeze half of this recipe. My kids love to eat this with a piece of toast and it goes great with a tossed salad.


3 comments:

Camile said...

That looks so pretty! I bet the kids appreciated the special garnishes...ha ha :)

Sounds way yummy and healthy. Thanks for the recipe!

Angela said...

yeah- I didn't have any parsley (which would have been more appropriate) so I used cilantro.

Mom used to make it but with ground beef and just white rice- so I just added a more healthy twist.

Kar said...

I am always on the hunt for turkey recipes. Thank you! I'm adding this to my arsenal of turkey recipes...