Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Present Spoiler

It's always hard to get presents for Jimmy. It seems like he just gets what he wants when he wants it & doesn't wait for a birthday or holiday. So he lacks the need for things. This year, I thought I would finally get something that he hadn't gotten for himself first. So I had heard good things about Tom Shoes. Jimmy has mentioned before that he wants some casual shoes to wear with jeans. So I went to Nordstrom's website and got some Tom's. A few days later Jimmy and I were on a date and we stopped at the mall to get a few things for Christmas. While we were there he said he wanted to stop in Journey and see if they had some casual shoes he'd been wanting. Dang! So he found a pair he wanted (some Croc canvas slip on shoes, that he said are so comfy) and ordered them in his size. That is how we work with Christmas, we shop together and get what we want and then give it to each other. So usually this would be fine but this time I wanted to get him some shoes. So I told him I had ordered him some and said we'd just take them back if this is what he wanted. When mine came in the mail, he decided he liked them and wanted them too. ( I was just going to return them) He got light colored ones and I ordered dark so I figured he could get them for his birthday in January.


While we were at the mall, we looked in a jewelry store. He has lost his wedding ring (3 times). After his first gold one was lost. I got a titanium one off Ebay, and then he lost that one and he got one at Walmart. So needless to say, with his track record of loosing rings, I wasn't about ready to buy him one for $300+. We ended up looking at ones for me. It was fun trying them on and seeing my finger sparkle with big diamonds but at the end of the day, I can't justify spending money on something like that when we could put that money towards a family vacation or something. A ring you can't take with you after this life, but memories and building relationships are priceless. So I left there with an idea of what style Jimmy liked and they told us that Tugstan rings were nicer than the Titanium we probably would have bought. So I went home and found a Tugstan ring and ordered it off Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/320799657811?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1985wt_1165
It was only $12.48 with free shipping! So I was excited about giving Jimmy this gift and surprising him on Christmas morning. This made up for the shoe thing.

That very day Jimmy came home from grabbing some stuff for me at Walmart and he had on a Tugstan ring from Walmart (for $50). It looked almost just like the one I had picked out for him but mine was better. So I told him he needed to take it back that I had ordered one already!

So Jimmy had no surprises this Christmas! But he got a nice ring and he'll be getting a pair of shoes he likes in a couple weeks! I guess great mind just think alike, right?

2 comments:

Camile said...

So funny - I love that he kept getting for himself what you were planning on getting for him - sounds like me! I never suprise Aaron either, but it's not because he gets things for himself (he actually never does), but he usually finds the gift in one of my lame hiding spots or finds the reciept in an e-mail or sees the debit from our bank acct. One of these days though, I'll suprise him.

p.s. the last comment you made on my blog made me wonder...

Callie said...

Angela,

This is Todd and I - every. year. It's miserable!!! I feel your pain...

~Callie